Monday, February 22, 2016

Out And About


Winter seems to be coming to an end, at least here in Los Angeles. Hopefully we will get some more rain but this week the temperatures are going to be in the eighties. And everyone wants to be out and about. I was in Sonoma for Valentine's Day weekend and had the opportunity to relax and read some of my favorite magazines, newspapers and websites. So many exciting items caught my eye. As always, there is a lot going on in the spring. I thought it would be fun to compile a list of some cultural happenings that look especially good to me. Here are some of the art, literary, and garden events I've spotted recently. I hope to make it to some of these. They are guaranteed to make the spring season just a little sweeter!

In Southern California...


Catherine Opie: Portraits at the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles

Woven Gold: Tapestries of Louis XIV at the Getty Center in Los Angeles

Literary Affairs lecture on Love in the Time of Cholera on March 10 at the Hotel Bel-Air

In San Francisco...

Oscar de la Renta: The Retrospective at the de Young Museum in San Francisco

In New York...


The fourteenth annual Orchid Show at the New York Botanical Gardens. This year's theme is Orhcidelerium: the history of orchid collecting.

In London...

Painting the Modern Garden: Monet to Matisse at the Royal Academy of Art

Botticelli Reimagined at the Victoria & Albert Museum

Vogue 100 -- A Century of Style at the National Portrait Gallery

And in the world of books...

An unknown story by Beatrix Potter has been discovered and will be published by Penguin




A new garden book:  Oxford College Gardens by Tim Richardson

A new cookbook spotlights 25 female chefs who are redefining cooking in New York

Television...

The last episode of "Downton Abbey" will air on March 6. Oh the sadness...

 "Outlander" will return on April 9

Theater...

A Grammy win for "Hamilton!" This was so well deserved.

And photography...

Stunning photos of Adele by Annie Leibovitz in the March issue of Vogue

The spring arts season is officially in bloom!

14 comments:

  1. I saw Tobias Menzies - the horrible Redcoat from Ourtlander - in Uncle Vanya last week and it was niggling at me for ages until I realised why he looked so familiar! The Royal Academy exhibition is stunning - but I do envy you the chance of seeing that lovely Crimson Rambler. Wish I could fly over for a cultural exchange every couple of months - although what I really envy right now is your sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky you were to see him in that play. Though it must have been hard to get over his association with that horrible character in Outlander! Yes, I would also love to do a cultural exchange and see some of the wonderful things happening in London right now. Hopefully I will make it there this year!

      Delete
  2. I'm heading to the Gardens show at the Royal Academy! Cannot wait to see it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will love this, I am sure. I have seen some outstanding exhibitions at the Royal Academy over the years. This one sounds stellar!

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you for such goodie information. I can see many excursions in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday, Thank you for sharing this wonderful information. I look forward to hearing which ones you attend. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sunday- I'm looking forward to experiencing many of these! I had never heard of Vigée Le Brun - how wonderful to find another amazing woman artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info about the Oscar de la Renta showing in San Francisco. I live in Santa Cruz, and I can surely make the drive for something so amazing!
    Too bad that the Royal Academy is not within driving distance, also....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic round up! If only I could see it all! I'm excited for what's on in London though - the Monet to Manet and Vogue exhibitions are truly spectacular. Now I have my eye on the Women Chefs of New York cookbook - it looks spectacular! Miranda xxx http://mirandasnotebook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much great information. I'd love to go to that lecture about "Love in the Time of Cholera", one of my very favorite books, by one of my favorite authors - will be fascinating I'm sure. I have the David Hockney retrospective (largest ever) at the Tate in London in 2017 on my radar as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been torturing myself reading the rave reviews for "Painting the Modern Garden" but the exhibition at the Huntington might be enough to console me. Was planning a quick visit to LA at the end of March to see my brother and the Huntington would fit in nicely. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hardly stand the fact that there is only one last episode of Downton Abbey! I am so glad we share the same love for the show!! xoxo

    ciao!

    ReplyDelete