Monday, January 14, 2013

Cold Comforts

Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley in Park City, Utah

Do you remember the scene in the film "White Christmas" when Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen dream about going to Vermont and all that snow?  Well, I have been doing a little dreaming of my own. Right now, roaring fires and hot chocolate in a snowy environment sound awfully good to me.

Maybe romantic snowy scenes have been on my mind precisely because there is no snow where I live.  It has, however, been unseasonably cold here in Los Angeles.  Some people are not very happy about the weather, but I love it.  Taking a walk on a brisk morning is invigorating and inspiring.  There is a sense of feeling alive that comes from being outside in the cold weather.  (My apologies to those of you who live in a frigid climate and are sick of it by now!)   Lighting the fireplace in the early afternoon and snuggling in with a cup of tea and a good book is also my idea of happiness.  The crisp and brisk weather has me feeling nostalgic about snowy scenes from my youth in New England and craving a cozy hotel set in a winter environment.

I did a little research and came up with some inviting places to stay in the cold winter months.  These are not hotels that take you away from the cold, but put you right in it and provide all the cozy comforts to keep you warm.  You can be active outdoors by day, and snuggle fireside by night.  And you could also stay inside all day and find plenty to do. But no matter how you decide to spend your time, you would find yourself ensconced in the most comfortable surroundings.  These cold winter days are a great time to engage in some armchair traveling and wanderlust.  If you are dreaming of a scene right out of Currier and Ives that comes with lots of old-fashioned comfort to keep you warm and snug, these places are for you.  They would be perfect for an idyllic winter escape.  We can dream, can't we?

The Pitcher Inn in Warren, Vermont
I have stayed here and it is truly magical!

  Matakauri Lodge in Queenstown, New Zealand

Rusty Parrot Lodge & Spa in Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Hotel Madeline and New Sheridan Hotel in Telluride, Colorado

Winvian Resort in Litchfield, Conn.

Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont

Hotel Jerome in Aspen, Colorado

Triple Creek Ranch in Darby, Montana


Fire-lit Cove at Lake Placid Lodge in Lake Placid, New York

These magical spots are the stuff of fantasy.  They conjure up images of sitting by the fire, thawing out and staying warm with a glass of wine and cheese fondue.  I can imagine being fireside for hours and catching up with some great books, working on jigsaw puzzles, making S'mores, and drinking hot toddies.  (I have never been sure exactly what those are, but they sound delicious!)   Jane Austen wrote, "Ah there is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort." Yes, that is true and and these warm and welcoming places promise a "home away from home" and some old-fashioned comforts to help you appreciate the beauty of winter.   I'm ready, when do we leave?


Photos three and eight via here, photos one, six, seven and nine via here, photos four, five and ten via here, photo two via here, photo eleven via here

11 comments:

  1. Oh what beautiful pictures! I saw a few wispy snowflakes this morning mixed in with our cold grey rain. I always hope for at least a couple of snow days per winter. Even though I work from home, there is something about being snow bound that always appeals to me. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I hoped you'd mention Twin Farms. The ultimate cold weather getaway place.
    I'm still away in warmer climes. It feels like May here. Quite a big difference from what the weather is currently at home.
    But Edward and Apple are with us, so we all four are enjoying a warm, breezy escape from the reality of winter.
    xoxo,
    p

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been so cold recently in LA that I've actually said to myself that I've skied in warmer weather!
    Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing I enjoy more than coming home and starting a fire. Do you remember when everyone enjoyed a "hot buttered rum" after a day of skiing? Beautiful pictures for winter dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying the cold in LA too, and love taking walks with our dogs and coming home to a cozy fire. These places all look so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunday, I love winter, as I live where the weather is quite warm I love to go home to the Midwest in winter and soak up the cold and snow, it is magical.

    Love all of the images and ideas!

    Have a beautiful week, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are fantastic, they make me miss my winter wonderland in Whistler, B.C. Anyone who loves a mountain resort should not miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the "hot toddy"--in my experience, it generally is a mix of black tea, citrus juice, apple cider, honey or sugar, maybe a cinnamon stick, and either bourbon or rum added to the heated concoction. So good when you feel chilled and/or a bit under the weather! Here, we have about six inches of snow on the ground, and I have a roaring fire going in the wood stove. I think you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very cozy! And thank you for letting me know about the "hot toddy." Sounds perfect for a cold winter day.

      Delete